Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical Conduit Hangers 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
I'm looking at suspending some electrical conduit hangers from the underside of a bridge and was wondering about using pipe hangers like the sketch with a slight skew to the hangers for wind resistance. I was thinking about using 10 degrees slope in both directions. I'm planning on using SS for everything and 3/8" threaded rod hangers. They would be attached to the underside of the bridge using Hilti HIS-RN inserts and HILTI epoxy for the threaded rod.

The conduit is about 6" dia semi-rigid fiberglass (with UV coating), and I'm thinking the supports will be about 5' o/c or whatever the conduit manufacturer suggests. Weight is slight.

Does anyone have a better solution or are their 'standard' types of hangers for this? It's covered by the bridge deck, but will still design for snow, ice and wind. Are there any supplemental loads that I should consider?

Clipboard01_fpzgjd.jpg

Thanks, Dik

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dik - For bridges, fiberglass hangers for fiberglass conduit; believe this is tied to USA National Electrical Code requirements.

See this brand's catalog for good general info, including hanger spacing. The conduits are lightweight, but the electrical cables inside can be heavy.

Thanks... didn't know that, or that it may be a code requirement... and use stainless fittings...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Thanks, bridge...

-----*****-----

-Dik

"Fiberglass" conduit is covered in Article 355 of the National Electrical Code, Article 355 Reinforced Thermosetting Resin Conduit (RTRC). There are no specific requirements as to the types of support that can be used with RTRC.

Thanks...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back