Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical Design Seminar

Status
Not open for further replies.

illuzionb18c1

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2010
US
Does anyone know of any company/seminars that offer quality electrical design for buildings? I am trying to get into the field and wanted to see if there is a good place to start.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are in the US, I'd start with a National Electrical Code seminar. Check with NFPA - there are other groups doing NEC training as well.

The IEEE Gray Book covers commercial building design. It is a bit dated, but probably worth looking at.

David Castor

Does the NEC seminars strictly focus on teaching codes? I'm more in it to learn how to do wiring/sizing etc etc. And of course I know there will be codes involved but I am not really looking for a 'code' only course. Do the NEC seminars still match with what Im looking for?

If you do not understand the basics in the NEC, it will not be possible to do any design work on building electrical systems in the US. All wire sizing and breaker sizing is based on the rules in the NEC, (even when they make no sense).

To be sure, there is much in the NEC that you won't need to know, but it establishes a base line for most design decisions (for better or for worse).

David Castor

i dont mind travelling as long as the seminar/class is worth it. which is why im trying to find out if anyone has heard of a good one in particular.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back