Electrical emi enclosure for pcb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharp

Mechanical
Jul 24, 2014
US
Hello,
I was hoping to find some info on creating a 2d drawing of an electrical emi enclosure for a pcb with various I/O ports made from sheet metal. This is not in my area in the least, so, I wondering if someone had a generic example of such a drawing or point me in the right direction to where I might find literature?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The metal chassis itself is the relatively easy part of designing for EMI compliance. The Conducted Emissions riding on the wiring is often the other 98% of the E3 problem.

One approach can be fully shielded cabling with 360 degree shield bonding at the connectors. This means the whole system, including the external wiring, is inside the shield.

Some companies sell chassises ready for drilling, and they might have drawings of the raw chassis on their website. But a custom chassis might be punched before folding, so a different set of drawing sheets might be required.

I wonder if one of the other forums might have more mechanical expertise? This might be a case where you might ask the same question in another forum, but reference this thread to avoid confusion of double posting.

Download a free drafting program (like DraftSight)..
Create your part using 2d lines/circles,etc..
Place a title block around it, give it a description/revision,etc.. and add all necessary linear and hole dimensions for fabrication including any tolerances you require.
Don't go to tight with tolerance or your price goes up quick.. In general, holes can easily be held to -/+.005" and overall dimensions to -/+.015" and angles to -/+5 deg.
Add some note about the finish on the box you require and the material you want it made of.
Send dwg file to sheet metal house to quote/produce.
Tell them you are a newbie and to go easy on you and ask them to make any suggestions if needed to decrease part or make it easier to fabricate,etc..
In general most sheet metal houses will go easy on you and try to help as much as they can.

Google images shows a few drawings using keywords like "sheet metal drawing" or "sheet metal enclosure drawing" ,etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back