Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electrical Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

symphony123

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2005
US
Electrical enclosures are tested for flameproof and IP testing and aslo pressure testing per Baseefa which excludes from having any furthur periodic pressure testing. But EN13980 of european standards suggests periodic hydrotesting of enclosures. Can anyone suggest if proper pressure testing is already been taken care of then it does exclude the hydrotesting or not.
Also if the enclosures are hydrotested per UL/CENELAC does the enclosures still need to go for any hydrotesting per EN13980.
I appreciate any help or suggestions regarding this.
Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EN 13980 is just for quality systems. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but as long as you have an EC-Type certification on your enclosure, then the enclosure is tested and certified as a "type", which is representative of all production units. You may still need to conduct Routine Tests (these are production tests, either 100% or based on another basis, i.e. annualy), but unless you make changes to the enclosure, you shouldn't need to run periodic tests per EN 13980. Your enclosure is controlled by its own specific standards, the data/info on your ATEX Certificate and Schedule (including controlled documentation). Your QAN (ATEX quality system certificate) rarely makes a difference here.

BASEEFA or whichever Notified Body you are using can also tell you in more detail (since I can't see your file) exactly in which cases you will need to re-test and re-certify. Usually it boils down to changes to the device (including changes to the ratings/info/data/controlled docs on the ATEX cert/schedule) and changes to the Directive or relevant standards over time.

ps: forgot to mention that if you do have any Routine Test requirements, these are usually spelled out in the ATEX certificate's Schedule. If you don't see anything and would like to confirm, simply ask your Notified Body (BASEEFA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back