Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electrical Grounding PMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Goree

Industrial
Jan 27, 2022
US
Grounding PMs can get very involved and costly whether you are following IEEE standards or NETA standards. Is anyone seeing value in these PMs? Specifically asking from an area where we are only a few feet above sea level and, when spot tested, our earth resistivity is very low.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pat You could look at it this way. What is it worth if the equipment fails due to a grounding issue? A million-dollar repair that also results in months of lost production can justify a LOT of preventive maintenance costs.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

jghrist said:
What does PM stand for? I'm not familiar with the term "grounding PM".
I think it is Preventive Maintenance.

You have to inspect and test it as the code requires. if it is required by the code you just do it or face the consequences when some shit happens.

What procedures are involved in your grounding preventative maintenance and what is the frequency? Common steps from utilities involve visual inspection, point to point testing, and/or impedance testing and frequency is dependent on the entity/region. I think Gr8blu is correct is making the risk assessment is a better way to determine value. Also I think seeing a visual like, Xcel's ground rod testing, help to understand the energy grounding systems may need to handle.

When you mention low earth resistivity, low soil resistivity values typically mean greater corrosion concern (making that maintenance even more pertinent).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back