Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical naming standards in IEC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kply_231

Electrical
Apr 4, 2016
CA
Hi

Does anyone know if there are any specific IEC standards which has guidelines for assigning tags/names to electrical symbols?
For example, CB for circuit breaker, CR for relay contact, XF for transformer etc.?

I referred IEC 61082 & IEC 60617 and couldn't find any specific information although IEC 60617 has a letter assigned to each function class.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IEC 81346, which supercedes IEC 61346, is the official reference. Unfortunately it isn't a very definitive standard and leaves plenty room for interpretation, or just plain making-it-up-as-you-go-along.

Moeller have made some effort to define the letter designators for electrical components on pages 10-3 and 10-4 of this link. Their list seems to be fairly close to what I'm familiar with.

Star for ScottyUK, I went through the same issue about a year ago, and came to the same conclusion, although I wasn't able to find the Moeller reference at the time, which would have made it much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back