Electrical System Design for High Rise Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonsinusoidal

Electrical
Mar 28, 2009
US
Hello Everyone,

I have been asked to develop an electrical standard for delivering power to high rise buildings. We are a power distribution utility and the future voltages to be brought into the buildings (floors) will be in the medium distribution voltage ranges. Does anyone know where I may be able to find reading material(type of vaults, dry type transformer, bus bars, etc) to assist me on developing such standard? I will definitely have to become acquainted with all of the necessary electrical codes so the final electrical guidelines meet and exceed the regulating codes for the power electrical distribution circuits for the high rise buildings. Can any one point me to the right direction? Any books, documentation,etc. will be highly appreciated. Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Nonsinusodial,

I have quite a bit of expereience in working on distribution systems and networks in high-rise buildings for a utility in a major metropolitan area. I can probably give you some general guidelines on the designs unfortunately I can't share all of the design standards for this utility plus it will also will vary from utility to utility based their practices and equipment standards.

In general almost all of the designs and projects I have worked on utilize MV feeders which come into a vault either in the basement or street with switchgear that then feeds transfomrers on the upper floors. A typical application would use an S&C switchgear line up to feed 12kV feeders to dry type transformers on the upper floors. The transformers also typically feed one floor above and one below. There are quite a few different variables to the design although the utility I have worked with has a set of standards. It should also be noted the their standards for the city service areas are also different from outside the city.

You can take a look at the list of references David has posted. I am not aware of any books though that specifically addresss this subject matter. The only one that may have some information is the Electric Power Distribution Handbook by Tom Short which I added to the list that David compiled. If you are looking for something more indepth I would recommend you take a look at PTI and some of their training courses. I think they used to have a couple of courses on this topic.You may also want to talk to some of the equipment mfgs as well. I have a lot of experience with S&C and they can definitely give you some guidance on their products for these types of applications.

If you have more specific questions please feel free to post them and I would try to respond although I can't develop a design standard on a discussion forum.

US the IEEE gray book.
IF it's residential the final building drawings ( at least here ) have to have the load calculations done per NEC 220.
The utilites here have a Square foot factor they use.
Check the NEC and the NESC.
Specify ample room for electric equipmetn. Archetechs allways seem to think an 8x10 room is plenty big enough for a building no matter how high.

Thank you for your prompt response. I completely understand about the electrical standards for the utility you work for are not a public record.
Please understand my expertise do not fall in this subject matter.As a result, some of my questions will probably be very simple to some of you.

The specific questions that I have are as follows. Where in the NEC or any other code that governs this type of electrical design can I find the following:

1. Where in the NEC I may be able to find the code which mandates where to place the MV distribution cables in concrete encasement

2.What are the allowable noise levels which a dry type transformer can generate in a vault which is to be located near a multi-residential dwelling high rise building.
3.Where can I find the minimum clearances which must be maintained in vaults; that is, the dry-type transformer to the wall vaults and other type of equipment within the vault. Also, guidelines for the size and type of vaults that must be utilize for this type of applications.

4.Where in the NEC can I find the code which specifies how secondary conductors are to be installed from the dry-type transformer to the main disconnects where the meters for the multi-residential dwelling are to be installed? Bus-bars, Conduits, or other type of means?

5.Dry-type transformers to be electrically connected in a daisy-chain configuration or what type of switchgear to use in the vaults to feed other transformers in other floors in the building.

6.What to use Live front or dead from transformer?

7.How to support cables in steel conduits that rise up to different floors in the buildings?

Please advise as appropriate. Thank you in advance.

These are all good questions. Some are answered by NEC, some are selection based on economics and experience. No offence, but there are lots of other issues in the design of a system for a high-rise. Some you are probably not even aware of. So, what rbulsara said.

Alan
----
"It’s always fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back