Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrically operated medium voltage circuit breaker operation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdn2004

Electrical
Jan 27, 2007
US
If a medium voltage circuit breaker is equipped with a spring charging motor does that mean that it is electrically operated?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, most of them can be manually charged and manually closed and tripped, but it's hardly the kind of practice any sane person would routinely undertake. Far too much chance of being up close & personal when it goes wrong.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I think all "electrically operated" circuit breakers are just that, a spring charging mechanism and an electrically operable open/close command circuit. The issue is you cannot slowly close it, there has to be a snap-action, hence the spring charge. You can manually charge it and manually push the button to open or close it, however I don't know if anyone still sells a manual-only version though. Wouldn't be a big seller in my mind, especially in the modern age of Arc Flash safety awareness.

"Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
— Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

The breaker would also need a closing coil and a trip coil to be considered electrically operated. The charging motor just charges the closing springs. It does not open or close the breaker.

Some Ormazabal breakers have to be charged by pulling the switching lever counter clockwise first. This action is needed to charge the springs and allow it to open in case of a trip.

Then the breaker can be closed by turning the switching lever clockwise and counter clockwise to open.

On those breakers, a charging motor can be installed as an option but it will also work without. Ofcourse motor operated is more practical and more safe.

Well, I stand corrected then. It appears they are still selling a manually cranked MV circuit breaker. Never heard of them here in North America, maybe that's why.

"Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
— Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Even if the springs are manually charged, tripping would be electrical for the normal function of a circuit breaker, that is breaking a circuit to clear a fault. If only manual opening is required, you would use a switch, not a circuit breaker.

If you descent far enough down the LV breaker family tree, you'll find shunt-trip breakers. These are manually charged, but can be tripped electrically. I don't know if this makes them 'electrically operated' by the commonly accepted definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back