Electricity used in EOR 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBTDS

Geotechnical
Jan 18, 2007
CA
I will try this again...
I am working with a Russian company that has a patented technology of using the existing production casings of two well points (a maximum 2km away from each other and a maximum depth of 3km deep) to inject both high frequency and low frequency waves into an oil reservoir to increase the productivity (as a tertiary EOR method).
From my understanding there must be some water in the reservoir to aid in the transmission (either natural intrusion or by water flooding) - the waves then create microexplosions in the smallest passagewaves opening them a bit wider to allow the oil to flow to the well points. The water is vaporized into steam which helps temporarily pressurize the reservoir and aid in water cut (as well as creating heat which allows the oil to pool). The end result is that a single treatment (of 24 to 48 hours) will get gains of 15% or greater and last 2 to 5 years. It uses a relatively small amount of electricity (a generator running for the treatment duration will require several tanks of fuel - which is relatively a small cost in the overall picture).
The cost is relatively small as the upfront cost involve only mobilization and a small fee - with the main cost being charged after several months of "proven" increases.
While I have seen it first hand and realize its potential I am having a hard time convincing producers in North America to try it.
TO get more information, there was an article posted on about the technology however I no longer see it there. I think they can point you in the right direction for more information.

The main problem is this:
1) The technology has been primarily in Kazakhstan and the former Soviet states.
2) Primarily Russian oil companies have used this technology and getting references that are accepted are just not possible. (I understand that Saudi Aramco has investigated this process and will do a pilot test program sometime this year - or so I am told)

My questions are as follows:
A) Has anyone (either a producer or engineering company) seen this technology?
B) Can anyone verify how well it works?
C) In today's world, where "exploitation" may bring faster results than "exploration", does this technology have a place in North America where EOR method typically require long term treatments with expensive infrastructure?
D) Any ideas of how to approach oil producers to try this method?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd ask the SPE (Society of Petroelum Engineers) if they've heard of it. To get wider exposure to this technoloy, I;d either present an SPE parer at one of their conferences or for one of their publications. Failing that, I'd try and get one of the trade magazines- Harts E&P or World Oil say, to publish something.

Most oil companies are nervous about being the first people to do something (apart from Norway's Statoil- they love being the first!), especialy something that's a little strange and from the former Soviet Union.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back