Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electro-slag Overlays in Pressure Vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.

We are currently evaluating bids for the manufacture of amine absorber columns for a gas treatment plant.
Our specification calls for the top section of the pressure vessel to be internally clad with 304 SS for resistance to the wet CO2. One bidder has proposed using an electroslag weld overlay in lieu of the cladding. We have no experience with this process, but the little information I have obtained suggests that is an acceptable (and potentially superior) proposal.

Does anyone have any experience with this process, and if so what are the strengths and weaknesses of the process?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Bill.B,

I have never heard of electro-slag to be used for weld overlay, but the bidder may have experience in this field and should be able to enlighten you. However, I would think that the high heat input often used with electro-slag welding will cause a high degree of blending between the carbon steel and the SS.

On the other hand I have on several occasions seen SAW used for weld overlay also for SS on top of carbon steel.

What is essential is that the top layer is pure stainless to specification and that this is completely free of crack and other deficiencies.

This is only a few thoughts.
I hope this is helpful, JLAU

Bill
I have never heard of electro slag overlay. But have you heard of hvof overlay coatings. Which is used for corrosion and wear. This unit applieds materials such as Stainless Steels, Monels, Inconels, Hastelloys, Stellites, Colmony,T-carbides and Cr-carbide and even ceramics just to name a few. All these materials can be applied in shop or in the field. Please visit I hope this will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back