Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electro Slag Weld for Internal cladding of Amine Regeneration Columns 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinzzzz

Materials
Mar 24, 2009
IT
Hi to all,

I'm preparing a Data Sheet for an Amine Regeneration Column. As i have studied and known the Amine process is very corrosive principally for two effects :

1- CO2 Corrosion;

2- Second Amine corrosion due to the product formed with CO2 and H2S (if present - in my case i have only CO2);

for this i have selected an AISI 316 Cladding on a low temp coloumn in order to avoid possible cracks in the Carbon steel welds. I have seen that to clad this coloumns it is used the ESW (electro slag weld) someone can show me how this technic function and if is possible use this technic for cladding of AISI materials? There are some other cladding Technics?

Thanks to all, with my regards Vincenzo Saviello.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How thick is the shell? The amine columns I am familiar with are less than 1" thick, not really enough to support such a high heat input process. Otherwise it is probably the best way to go for cladding a large area with a regular geometry.

API RP 582 should be the standard to specify for the overlay welding.

Your selection of cladding is more for control of amine corrosion (general metal loss and pitting) and CO2 corrosion (again general metal loss and pitting) rather than cracking. PWHT would control amine stress corrosion cracking in carbon steel but not amine corrosion in the lower liquid region or CO2 corrosion in the condensation region at the top of the column.

As to learning about the welding process, those wonderful Google people come to the rescue as always:

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back