Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrochlorination Units - Hydrogen gas uses and scale free ECU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

andief

Chemical
Apr 29, 2005
GB
I have recently been looking at ECU's, primarily for offshore installations, but smaller applications are also of interest.

As I understand it every ECU produces hydrogen gas as part of the process, which is vented to the atmosphere after dilution. I've done a couple of rough calculations and the amount is not insignificant and could be used to provide power. Is there any reason why it is not used in this way (safety issues aside - which surely are no worse than those on a natural gas platform?!)

I've also come across a few ECU's which claim to be scale free and/or require no acid washing. I was under the impression that all units will eventually scale, unless you apply reverse polarity to the electrodes which reduces lifetime significantly.

Any and all thoughts much appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Andief:

My opinion only, but....,

I would think that the amount and fuel value of hydrogen generated would not offset the cost of collection and use.

Secondly, reverse polarity will significantly reduce electrode scaling, and is not a cause of early electrode failure. The presence of scale, however, sets up micro shorting at the scale-electrode interface which does, in fact, lead to shortened electrode life. In any case, reverse polarity operation is (again, in my opinion) a far more suitable solution to scale formation/removal than the maintenance issue of frequent acid washing.

Orenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back