Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electroforming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

beegw

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2010
US
Is anyone familiar with electroforming on an interior cavity. I have had experience where we electroform over an aluminum mandrel, then acid remove the aluminum when finished. Is there a process that does the opposite of this. For instance if there were a two part mold with the cavity in the middle of the mold (like an injection molded plastic part), however you electroform copper on this inside surface of the mold, and then just pull the two part mold apart, and you have your thin, electroformed part without having anything on the inside that needs to be etched out. Could a part even release from this mold faces.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's ringing vague bells, I think I may have read something vaguely similar in one of the "Design 2 Part" magazines I used to get.

They have a website, perhaps you'll find it there.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Mike,
Yes. Something like that. On one half of the mold it would be possible to have a hole and have the electrode go in and also allow electrolyte to be in there. Seems like there is someone that has done this. I am still looking. Thanks

Perhaps some of the TSE technology used in rapid mold building in the food packaging industry can be likewise implemented for your purpose. Wax preforms.

You are looking for a method to produce higher volumes at lower cost, correct? How thin of a shell are you looking to form? Is mechanical forming/drawing from foil a possibility? Just a couple of thoughts.

Reference:
Bocking, C. and Jacobson, D.M and Rennie, A.E.W (2002) Rapid production of microwave packaging in Silicon Aluminium by thin-shell electroforming. Microelectronics International, 19 (1). pp. 30-32. ISSN 13565362

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back