Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electromagnetic Wave Distance Measurement Over a Body of Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgeline

Civil/Environmental
May 29, 2008
US
We often use total station instruments, which utilize electronic distance measurements (EDM), to precisely measure and monitor structures. However, I noticed when measuring and monitoring a bridge over water recently, the measured distances fluctuated significantly as compared to other measurements over dry land. I can only assume the reflections off of the water are somehow bending the waves and changing the lengths as they travel over the water. Does this hypothesis seem reasonable? Does anyone have any reference literature that can explain what is actually occurring and how? I am thinking there may be some correlation between the intensity of the reflection and the amount the waves bend.. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A typical laser range measurement device has a relatively small beam, so there ought not be reflections of the beam from the water. It's possible, however, that sunlight might interfere with the detector and cause false returns, but that could be readily verified by putting a shroud over the detector. Generally, since EDMs are supposed to performed outdoors, the receiver design should tolerate sunlight effects.

However, you need to describe the fluctuations; what were the amplitudes of the variations and what were the durations and frequencies of the variations. It's more likely, in my mind, that you are seeing actual fluctuations in the actual distance, due to wind, thermal, and even wave pressure or tidal, effects.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Is it a manned facility?

Could there be physical interferences (like ships or fog or boats or ice) that are fouling the path that an automated facility would not "notice"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back