Electronic Packaging Systems (A mechanical Engineering Approach) References 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbujuru

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2013
US
Hello,

I am doing a research on the good reference books for mechanical engineers for electronic packaging. If anyone have already been using any good texts and can refer them to me- that'd be great.

Thanks
karthik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kbujuru,

The only specific electronics packaging problem I can think of is
EMI/RFI. You need to chat with your electronics people, and to whoever is going to use the thing.

A very good book for you would be Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly by Geoffrey Boothroyd, Peter Dewhurst and Winston Knight.

Most of my electronics packaging is done in sheet metal boxes. I don't have to meet NEMA[ ]4, IP65 through[ ]68, or UL886. If you do, then you need copies of those standards.

--
JHG

Drawoh,

Thanks for the response. I understand that I have to go through the NEMA and other applicable industry standards, but I what I meant to ask was a a text that covers topics like packaging design guidelines, most common mechanical problems encountered during shock and vibe, common chassis mounting methods etc.

I have already found texts like

1. Mechanical Analysis of Electronic Packaging systems by McKeown
2. Packaging of Electronic systems- A mechanical Engineer Approach by James W Daily

I have reviewed the index content of the texts and they seemed to serve the purpose; However, I haven't personally read them in entirety. I would like to nail down on couple of texts before I place an order.

Best,
karthik

kbujuru,

You can get Dave Steinberg's books on cooling and on vibration. Everything other than EMI/RFI is mechanical engineering. This is all stuff you took in college.

My primary problem is the end user. My end users are sitting in aircraft, and they don't want to be hit by flying equipment when the plane crashes. In this scenario, there is no mechanical engineering difference between an electronics box and a luggage rack. Electronics need to be cooled, but so do heat engines. You use the same laws of physics.

The main thing you need to do is talk to co-workers and end users. Nobody knows everything.

--
JHG

Yes I did. Below are the applicable ones I found
1. Mechanical Analysis of Electronic Packaging systems by McKeown
2. Packaging of Electronic systems- A mechanical Engineer Approach by James W Daily

Machinery's Handbook is invaluable for any mechanical engineer. Marks' Handbook for Mechanical Engineers is another good one. As for books dealing with E/M Packaging, I would recommend all of David S. Steinberg's books. His books ARE NOT written by an academic because he is not a PhD. His books deal more in getting practical answers using useful formulas quickly. They aren't laden with advanced mathematics containing so many unknown coefficients and exponents like so many books written by academics (but he does use some simple calculus now and then to come up with practical formulas).

Tunalover

thanks tunalover. I appreciate the response. I already have the machinery's handbook and surely check out the David S. Steinberg's books you suggested.

Best Regards,
karthik

Hi Kbujuru, joining in this conversation very late, but if you wanted to share the product type or some of the problems you anticipate having to deal with in terms of operating environment and materials/processes or whatever?
The Steinberg books are always a good bet for fundamentals though they are getting a bit dated now. Must be about time for a new author to appear on the scene.
Tony Kordyban wrote a couple of valuable and entertaining books on thermals too. There are not many good current references on EMI.

"You will master any feeling of inadequacy you may be having"
....from my fortune cookie @ the buffet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back