Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electronic PE stamps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT99

Structural
Apr 24, 2007
US

Electronic PE Stamp - Exactly how is this done. I know you can get electronic versions from rubber stamp companies, but PE boards also want these to be secure when transmitted. So assuming you have the image or make it and then put it on an Autocad drawing, what is the process to make the transmitted PDF drawing with PE stamp secure and compliant.
I need to comply with NJ and NY.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We just use a jpg of the seal and signature - then use a proprietary electronic digital signature on the drawing (separate from the jpg's) to secure the signature.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

A word to the wise here: be careful who you give an electronic copy of your seal to.....or at the very least: make sure they understand under what circumstances that seal goes on a drawing. At several places I've worked at, the designer/drafter would throw it on there without talking to anyone first. Make sure you trust the guy you trust your seal with.

I plot my dwgs with a seal block, make a *.pdf and then add the date and signature to the *.pdf file. The seal is removed from the dwg file and block purged. The *.pdf are 'locked' to prevent tampering.

Dik

I work in Canada. I have to purchase the electronic certificate from a not-for-profit in Quebec. It costs me $180 per year. The certificate pings my licencing board anytime a digital stamp is validated by opening a drawing. Its been two years since I used a wet stamp. I submit all my drawings, reports and invoices via PDF now.

There are two parts. There is a digital signature (the part you see) and an electronic certificate (that can be verified online and validates the seal and signature as your work).

Scan a copy of your signature

Remove the white background (get paint.net or photoshop)
vectorize the remaining elements (I found an online place that will do this.)

Also do this with your seal, also get a vectorized version without a white back ground. The process may be different if you have a .dwg version of your stamp.

If you do that right your stamp and your signature wont be blurry.

Create or purchase a digital certificate, it should have a password. You can do this in Bluebeam or buy it from a separate certificate store. I have to purchase mine from the not-for-profit place or it isn't recognized as a legal document. Check your licencing boards rules.

Make sure your title block has a common place to stamp and seal.
Get Bluebeam pdf software - the extreme version. Watch the video to batch stamp and seal drawings.

Save time and money.

Speaking for my state: The picture of your seal and a scan of your signature are pretty but don't do anything legally. The 'signature' is your electronic signing of the pdf through a third-party vendor. Certain information still has to appear as part of the electronic signature such as your name, email address, time/date, etc as defined by the Board or the Administrative Code. Also note that scans of wet seals are not considered sealed, and prints of electronic seals are not considered sealed. We also have a jurisdiction we work with that has a process for signing through blue beam or adobe.

Like dik, I create PDFs that are created with a seal overlay. I use PDF creation software ( pdf factory) that acts like a printer driver and is also handy for letterheads and calcsheets.

In my opinion and electronic seal can be easily stolen if someone wants to steal it, a scan is the safest method but someone with Photoshop could jack that as well. Finding a decryption software online is not hard, especially for a pdf. I think the main thing is not sending sealed documents to someone you don't trust.

I had mine stolen long ago with the old cut and paste method (scissors and tape)
Can't stop people who have their mind set on doing evil.
With today's technology, it wouldn't be hard for someone to make their own copy of an electronic seal

The type that is mandated in Canada isn't just something that stops you from tampering with the pdf and can be easily broken. You have a private key that you use to sign the pdf. If the pdf gets changed and they check against the corresponding public key that's stored on a publically available server, it won't validate. The picture of the stamp doesn't mean anything on its own. They can copy that all they like. The electronic signature is the actual important bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back