Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electronic swtich, multiplexer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steventyj

Electrical
Feb 8, 2003
CA
I am looking for a single chip that can take a number of inputs (preferably 16) and based on the signal of one digital control input forward a set of 8 of them to outputs.

A made up example to clarify: We have 8 sensors for use in the day and 8 for use in night, and we can only process 8 of them. We want to be able to electronically switch between the day set and the night set.

Thanks for any help. I realize that this information should be available through other resources but I have had trouble finding it.

Thanks,
Steven

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are the impedances of the signals from the sensors? A couple of analog mux chips will do if it is simply voltage but if the sensor signals are more complex, say thermocouples or current loops, you will probably be better off using a set of mechanical relays. Latching relays only need a pulse of a few milliseconds to change state so power consumption need not be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back