Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrostatic Discharge in Rotating Machinery 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eglaude

Electrical
Apr 1, 2004
US
I'm trying to look for an alternative to grounding brushes that ride on a shaft of a steam driven compressor to dissapate electrostatic charges that are generating nuissance noise signals and in some cases a transient large enough to fry the analog signal input to the monitoring system. Brush types systems are maintenance intensive and mounting this equipment on the compressor will not be easy.
The bearing lubrication is an oil mist system so conductive grease will not be an option.
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have recently had a look at the AEGIS device. It is said to be an "Electron Transport Technology" shaft grounding and sealing device.

If what they say is true, then this could be the solution and end to all shaft voltage problems. I have tried to get some information from them, but haven't got it yet.

I will be back when I know more. Or you contact them. Tell me what you found!

I think your best and secure option is brushes. Those Sohre by Edison look very good and ease to install.

I wonder if for your case, (electrostatic charge only) a steel ball inserted into the shaft center hole on one side and a grounded plate with another conical housing and spring loaded could solve your problem.

You may be able to reduce future damage by surveying for remanent magnetic fields, e.g. those left by magnetic particle inspection, and degaussing as appropriate.

If you can access a shaft end, a carbon brush rubbing at 'zero' radius on a stainless spring, like in a car's distributor, should give reasonable service.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back