Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elevator¦s Machine Room Ventilation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvic

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2003
US
Hello.

We are designing ventilation, 10 AC/h, in our elevators machine room. The reccomended choice would be use air conditioning, but we have some problems to conditioning two machines rooms, because they´ll be located in underground galleries. The air inside this galleries will be at 38°C DB.

The question is if modern microprocessors controls could work under this conditions only with ventilation. Could we ask for controls that can resist?.

Thak you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will have bigger problems and blames to share if you choose not to air condition it, imho.

Do not foget to dehumidify too , to eliminate condensation.

You have 2 choices.

No. 1 - air-condition the space to room temperature approx 24 deg C - use a split a/c system if need be. Local codes may require minimum ventilation in a motor room. You will have to find out the heat emitted form the motors to size your a/c unit

No. 2 - Ventilate the room. You will need to know how much heat is emitted form the motors - the supply air temperature ( max summer outside air temp, since you are ventilating it with outdoor air) the room temp ( max acceptable room temperature, 28-30 may be acceptable, again look at local codes). use the Q=m.c.deltaT formula to get your air flow rate (m)

Dont just use 10ac/hr - this amy be too much unless local codes reuqire a minimum of 10ac/hr. 10 ac/hr may also be too little.

If you live in Australia, they have a standard specificly for this regarding a/c and ventilation temperature requirement etc..

Good luck

Thank you very much.

I think that the split A/C system will be the right choice. But I don´t know if is recommended to install the condenser unit in an underground gallery, I have to ask the A/C equipment manufacturer if there is no problem with this alternative.

Billyg, well-put explanation and nice post.

In US (MA) code requires elevator machine rooms to be ventilated (not just conditioned). Provisions allow a ventilation substitute of machine room connection via ductwork without a fan (there are requirements regarding duct pitch) to the associated hoistway. The piston effect of the elevator continually changes the air in the machine room. I would think the purpose would be dissipation of gaseous hydraulic emission. Think of it - a hydraulic system in a conditioned but not ventilated space could evolve into LEL and O2 depletion issues...

If it's all electric, I believe the code still applies but maybe for nostalgic reasons moreso than the code's original intent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back