Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elictrical panel boards fabrication 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

suntop

Electrical
Jun 22, 2003
AE
Hello
We have a big project,that will need many panel boards.We are planning to build our fabrication plant.Could you advice what are the main machinary,equipment and tools required for this plant.

Thank you

Hi Suntop,

US or EU or Asia or Africa or South pole... your location will allready make some difference, try to find your (other)local requirements and standards the equipment must comply with. How big is big ??, to determinate the equipment (panels)you need a lot more detailed info is required, basicaly we would need an overall requirement to give you at least an idea of what you would need.

kind regards,

Danny

Suggestion: To give it some start, the following may be required:
1. Sheet metal cutters
2. Bending machines
3. Welding robots
4. Drilling machines
5. Grinding machines/tools
6. Torches
7. Punch presses
8. Circular saws for metals
9. Polishing machines
10. Etc.

If in North America, your inspecting authority or insurance company will probably require a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (e.g. U.L.) listing and labeling.

Thank you gentelmen for your responses.Please note that I am located in central Africa,and the British Standard is the most applicable here.The quality assurance is ,ainly done by the national electricity authority.The most important to them is dim. of the panel,seel thickness ,Locks and surely the compliance of the protection and control components used with the interntional standards.
The proposed panels will be in the range of(100-3000A)Main circuit breakers 420 volts,50 hz low voltage power system.

Let me get this straight. You are planning on building a factory to manufacture electrical panelboards. You have no experience in such manufacture (otherwise, you would know what "main machinary,equipment and tools" are required). An you expect to be able to do this by asking questions on an internet electric power engineering forum???

Good luck!

jghrist I wished that you were more conctructive rather than destructive and offensive in you respecful response.I realy know to some extend what I need,but I asked for help to get more clear idea from the more experienced people in this field.
further more what we inted to do is a fabrication unit noe a factory that .This fabrication unit will be a steel fabrication unit plus an assembly unit and wiring for the panels.
Any way thank you so much for your encouragement.

Hi Suntop! Leave destructive answers:)) and take a look at my idea. I'm working in ABB for already 6 years and main activities are LV switchgears. To built your own switchgear system (type tested structure) will cost a lot of money, mainly for testing and preliminary desiging. I propose you to buy just basic bending and driling machines (generally for busbars and small steel sheets) and to use switchgear system of main producers - ABB, Schneider, Cubic, Logstrup etc.

I'm involved deeply in ArTu system of ABB (up to 4000A, Icw=105kA, IP65, Form 4), so further I can give you some support. Try to contact local ABB organization.

In brief, use tested structures and just make assembling in your country

Suggestion: Make certain that the production means have capability to meet IEC, or any major relevant industry standards to be able to compete on the market and to have the equipment compatible with other parts of electrical power distribution system hardware or load hardware.

Dear Suntop!

Please don't get disturbed by the response of jghrist. He was trying to help you. As you must be aware that all panels are according to some standard e.g. BS, DIN / VDE, IEC, IEEE or JiS etc. For qualification, some type tests are essential on proto types which is a costly affair. I think the suggestion of vtakev is worth considering for the above reason.
God bless.
mta2003

Thanks to all of you,vtakev,jbartos and mta2003 for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back