Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eliminating Recoil 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfairlie

Military
May 7, 2001
AU

I work for a company that has researched and developed a new generation recoilless device. We are currently at the stage where some of our financial backers are seeking some information to further our funding. The hand held and bench prototypes have been built and the handheld has been test fired by representatives of some government representatives.
Can anyone provide me with some data to further this?

Specifically:
Small Arms expenditure for the US, Taiwan, UK, Turkey and Israel (including Longarms)for the most recent fiscal year
Heavy Weapons expenditure for the the US, Taiwan, UK, Turkey and Israel
Number of small arms in circulation in the US, Taiwan, UK, Turkey and Israel

Any studies on recoil that are public domain (there is a shortage of stuff on the web)
Any studies or published articles that (independantly) articulate the benefits of eliminated or substantially reduced recoil.

Thanks in advance all...

gary
Group Operations Manager
Recoilless Technology International

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Juerg, thanks for that info. There is a paucity of info re the problems, so you have been able to provide me with a useful link for the rest of our technology as well.

Re your own weapons systems linked to the web site. Are you a systems developer as well...?

regards. gary

Gary:

Over the last 15 years I have done a lot of work for UK MoD and defence industry on recoil management including benefits and tech solutions (mostly for 155 artillery).

I will dig some reports out and see if they are public domain or can be declassified. If you post your e-mail address that would be easier than using this forum. What country are you in?

A growing benefit of recoil management is the need for big guns on lightweight (airporatble) vehicles.

John

recoilless handheld guns? it wouldn't happen to be general dynamics would it? because i gave them a design for a recoilless sub machine gun last year involving the use of a series of magnets. they said they didn't see sufficient benefit to continue evaluation of the design. lemme know whats up so i know if i have to sue somebody : )

Only for the second part of Your questions:

What kind of gun is it used for? A small arm or ...?
What principle is used? Muzzle-break, Jet-chamber or ...?

Give me some more information!

Andreas Nehme
mail@waffentechnik.com

gfairlie,

Although the article is not on-line yet, Machine Design Magazine ( has the following article on "friction springs"

Frictions Springs Put a Damper on Things
By Carl Fenstermacher
Machine Design
23 October 2003
Page 62

The author is from Ringfeder Corp. (

Here are images of Recoil mechanisms from their website:
30 mm Cannon

35_50mm Chain gun

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"Luck is the residue of design."
Branch Rickey

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Greg:

Yes this has been investigated. Clearly, the best antidote to recoil is mass, and turrets are heavy. However, there are usually crew in the turret, and they would get thrown about. Also the difficulty of a sliding as well as rotating turret ring bearing is problematic.

In general, the problem is increased firepower on lighter platforms, which challenges the laws of physics. There are clever techniques such as soft recoil, which can alleviate this at the expense of some operational problems.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back