Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embed Edrawing in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MfgEngDave

Industrial
Jul 14, 2010
US
I am making setup sheets in solidworks and converting them to Edrawings to show my guys on the shop floor how to orient parts in machines during setup. I also make an excel Document that has all the offsets, program numbers, part numbers, operation number...etc I want to embed an edrawing into an excel document without opening up another window to show the edrawing. I want the edrawing to look to a cell to get the file extension of the file. This is going to be a template. I would like the edrawing to be functional, I have comments in edrawings with notes on what needs to be done so they need access to this in the excel document. Has anyone done this before? I know it can be done because I had a guy from design point do it for me. He left the company and the only other person that knew how to do it was an IT guy here but he was fired last week... Tough luck I know..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For excel documents insert the edrawings file using “Insert/Object/Create from File” option in excel.

Note that it’s essential to have edrawings viewer installed on your machine to visualize the model in 3D.

That doesnt give me the option to view comments, and I would have to manually add the file extension each time instead of letting the file automaticlly look to a cell for the extension.. sorry thats close but not what im looking for

I would add a note that by right clicking on the embedded 3d image you can select some of the commands available in eDrawings, but I don't know the way to embed the complete application window with all the options like annotations etc... But the rotate, zoom, pan, animate etc options do work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back