Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedded Plate Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivorm

Structural
May 20, 2008
CA
I was wondering if anyone here knows of software to design steel plates embedded in concrete with nelson studs or even some good literature? I'm looking for something that would use the Canadian codes but if not that's okay. Just seems like topics like these get left out of the codes as they require input from the steel codes and the concrete codes.

The only place I can seem to find any information is the CPCI (Canadian prestressed concrete institute) design manual and the design process is pretty long. The older code was much more general and simple. Any help on this topic would be very much appreciated as I seem to run into these plates fairly often with tilt up buildings and renovations and don't like using an older code.

Thanks

Ivor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ACI Appendix D has the information you need, but as many of us here would agree, it is a beast in terms of how complicated it is made.

You could use proprietary software such as HILTI Profis or Simpson's software.

However, I would suggest you get a good grasp of different failure modes in shear and tension before using any programs.

Yeah I have gone through the calculations and I have a fairly good grasp of it, I was curious how people typically deal with them since the calculations are pretty time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back