Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Embedment length of anchor bolts in a pinned support

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie96

Structural
Mar 9, 2024
SA
I'm sure the topic of embedment length of anchor bolts has been discussed extensively here, but what I'm wondering is if the support is assumed to be pinned, will this affect the anchor bolts requirements.

I need to install post concrete pour M20 anchor bolts in a 200mm thick reinforced concrete base which will greatly limit the embedment length of the anchor bolts, any guidance regarding this topic will be appreciated.

Included here is an image of what I'm dealing with:
Screenshot_2024-04-28_111044_cpksr2.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nothing wrong with post installed anchor bolts in 'thin' concrete, it is done all the time be in thin 150mm slabs or precast concrete panel walls.

Of course you will still need to check the loads as appropriate. Uplift is of obvious concern, moment is of concern with the design pictured IF your structure isn't suitably and stiffly braced (But most structures should have suitable lateral bracing.)

EDIT. If this is the same structure as in your previous thread then I'd avoid the base plate pictured. I'd choose a more traditional pinned base plate connection design where the bolts are inside the flanges to allow the column to rotate more easily. The structure in the previous thread is a portal frame which is much less stiff than a braced structure and therefore will readily try to transfer moment into the foundation if given the opportunity.

I started using the free Simpson Strong-Tie® Anchor Designer™ calculator to check my anchor bolts. I find it really easy to use. You can run a couple different scenarios with it and see if there will be any difference using theoretically pinned with the anchor bolts inside the flanges or theoretically fixed with anchor bolts outside the flanges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back