Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embry-Riddle a good program? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcvn65

Aerospace
May 10, 2005
US
Recently I was medically discharged from the US Navy, where I worked as a nuclear machinist, and now the VA is offering a program that will pay for my school since, due to my injuries, I am unable to work as a machinist. I want some perspective on the aerospace industry. I've been accepted to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, where I hope to gain a master's degree in Aerospace Engineering. I'm mostly interested in propulsion and space mechanics. Is this a good path in the industry to take? Please offer any comments.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know Embry-Riddle has had an engineering program for quite a while. I looked into it over 20 years ago but was too expensive for me. But, I have not met an engineer from E-R.

Any Embry-Riddle engineering graduates out there?
What are you doing?

I'm a riddle grad (db), got a good education, and my first two jobs, I was hired by riddle alumni. I am currently in the airline world as a liaison engineer and structures DER. ERAU has a good engineering program, and they used to have an engineering physics program which focused on space mechanics. If still available, you many want to check it out if that is what your interested in.
Overall a good experience, no complaints, I kind of missed going to a big school which had a football program, comraderie amongst students, etc... but the small class education was worth it. Expensive, still paying for my education!!

737eng,
Thanks for your input. The Daytona Beach campus does offer an engineering physics program, but I'm planning on going to the Prescott, AZ campus, which doesn't offer it. I looked at the curriculum for engineering physics and it sounds like something I'd be more interseted in than what I am now planning on. The catalog describes it as "an excellent stepping stone into the space program" and it has a full engineering accreditation by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the ABET.
However, I am still interested in Aerospace Engineering at the Prescott campus which offers a concentration in Astronautics. The course study is very similar to that of the engineering physics program. In fact, if I use all of my technical electives to take those courses that are different I could almost get both by the end of my senior year.

Thanks for all of your posts, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back