Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMD 12-645-E5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tugbillmaier

Marine/Ocean
Sep 27, 2015
US
TUGBILLMAIER

This for L4189, I enjoyed your reponse to CAPTKHAOS, I have a simular problem, I am the chief engineer on an old navy YTB tug, this one here was YTB-799. Like you explained to Khaos, the flow of the lube oil, I have the michiana filter pot. I recently had the two 20# relief valves rebuilt , Before the rebuild i had a lube oil pressure of 60 PSI, after the rebuild i now have a lube pressure of 38 psi. I called the company that rebuilt the valves and he told me thta one of the springs was bigger than the other in other one had a 20# spring and one must have been a 30 or 35 lb. This at fullspeed or 830 rpm. My lube oil temp is also high it is running at 208 deg where it ran at 197 to 200 deg. I am using mobil grad 410C lube oil. The soak back pump runs for 38 mintues after shut, it is where the navy had it set for, I talk to a EMD mechinac when I did a complete rebuild and he told me that is what EMD recmends. Any do you think I should change one of the relief valve prings to a heavier size.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be getting this sort of information direct from EMD, in the form of workshop manuals, overhaul manuals, specifications, etc., whatever applies to your particular engine.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

THANKS MIKE

i HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH EMD TECH REP, BUT HE DOES NOT HAVE ANT INFORMATION ON THE VALVES , JUST TOLD ME THAT THE NORMAL PSI SHOULD BE 40 TO 70 PSI. THERE IS NOTHING IN THE MANUALS, IT HAS TO BE THAT ONE OF THE RELIEF VALVES HAD A LARGER SPRING IN. WILL SEND SOME PHOTOS AS SOON AS I LEARN HOW.

I would be replacing some springs or shimming them and get the pressure where its supposed to be. You would think someone makes an adjustable valve nowadays. That is if the relief valve is your only problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back