Emergency Lighting in Fire Pump House

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhgf

Structural
Jan 26, 2012
DE
Hi all,

as per NFPA 20, 4.14.5 pump rooms shall be provided with emergency lighting. NFPA 20 usually makes the distinction between "pump room" and "pump house" for example "The pump room or pump house shall be provided with a floor drain that will discharge to a frost-free location."
Does that mean that pump houses do not require EL?
Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

don't over think this.

If the pump "room" is within a pump "house", how are you going to find the door of the pump room and the light switch if there is no EL.

Don't save $10 on this because of a minor wording issue in the code.

Engage brain please.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks for your opinion!
Anybody else here to share thoughts?

Why is NFPA 20 leaving out the "pump house" in the emergency lighting but not in e.g.:
- 4.14.6 Ventilation
- 4.14.7 Drainage or
- 4.14.4 Normal Lighting?

Is that really a typo or on purpose? As in most projects there is a CCL in place.
Thanks!

Kind of curious omission - maybe on their website go onto the ask a technical question, but at some point common sense / engineering judgement needs to come into play here. There is ZERO point in having EL in a pump room if the access to it from the outside isn't also equipped with EL.

I can't search on the free read version but pump room / house doesn't seem to be defined. However one would normally think that a pump house contains a pump room, even if there is only one room! Is someone trying not to install EL because you've called it a pump house and not a pump room?? If so give me strength.

Just change the name on the drawing and call it pump room A, B, C etc.

I struggle to believe that this will be anything other than a minor cost element.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back