Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Emergency Power Off Requirement for IT Systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daKlone

Electrical
Jul 25, 2001
GB
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone could advise on the requirement for an Emergency Power Off (EPO) switch in my application?

I have a small IT system, consisting of a few PCs, network switches and the like installed in a 19" rack. There is a rack-mount uninterruptible power supply (UPS) rated at 3KVA that provides power to these PCs in the event of mains power failure. Outside this rack there are two LCD projectors that are also connected to the UPS. The system is permanently installed in a classroom and has a dedicated operator who is present when the system is powered up. The standard operation of the system calls for the UPS to be shut down (output turned completely off) at the end of the day using the button on the front of it. The system will be operated in the UK.

My question is this: do I need to provide an EPO switch?

I can find a lot of US-based conversation suggesting that it is required, but I've never seen one on a system like this here in the UK.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance, dK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For clarity, the US standards do NOT require an EPO for this application, as well as most IT applications.

NEC Article 645 allows for leniencies that are not worth taking, even in a data center if you provide an EPO, all of which for sure do not apply to this classroom application.

I believe that 2014 National Electrical Code, Article 645.10 does require it, but as previously stated it is somewhat easy to comply with this requirement (NEC).

If your installation is in the UK (England and Wales) then the law of England apllies.

Basically the Health and Safety at Work etc act and potentially the wiring regulations BS 7671 apply

You have to appoint a Competent Person to assess and to perform the work.

Sorry in the UK, we are risk assessment based not code based.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I spoke to the manufacturer of the UPS and they were of the opinion that there was no necessity for an EPO, despite the fact that they promote the feature on their devices of this class. In fact, they suggested that they had never seen the feature used at all, despite installing hundreds of the devices themselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back