Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Emergency stairs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weldinspect

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2010
SV
Other than NFPA 101/2012 4.5.3.1 that says every building shall have at least 2 emergency stairways, does NFPA states the quantity of stairways that a building should have according to it´s height??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Requirement of emergency stairways is more related to building code than NFPA. I think you should refer to your local building code requirements.

Weldinspect:

Both LSC and the IBC are more focused on exit width and travel distance. The one case where a 3rd egress is specified is in high rise buildings > 420 feet above the lowest level of FD access.

I found this:

b)In buildings of Type I or Type II construction, as defined in NFPA 220, Standard on Types of Building Construction (see 8.2.1.2), existing fire protection–rated door assemblies to interstitial spaces shall be permitted, provided that such spaces meet all of the following criteria:

i.The space is used solely for distribution of pipes, ducts, and conduits.
ii.The space contains no storage.
iii.The space is separated from the exit enclosure in accordance with Section 8.3.

(c)Existing openings to mechanical equipment spaces protected by approved existing fire protection–rated door assemblies shall be permitted, provided that the following criteria are met:

i.The space is used solely for non-fuel-fired mechanical equipment.
ii.The space contains no storage of combustible materials.
iii.The building is protected throughout by an approved, supervised automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 9.7.

(10)Penetrations into, and openings through, an exit enclosure assembly shall be limited to the following:
a)Door assemblies permitted by 7.1.3.2.1(9)
(b)* Electrical conduit serving the exit enclosure
(c)Required exit door openings
(d)Ductwork and equipment necessary for independent stair pressurization
(e)Water or steam piping necessary for the heating or cooling of the exit enclosure
(f)Sprinkler piping
(g)Standpipes
(h)Existing penetrations protected in accordance with 8.3.5
(i)Penetrations for fire alarm circuits, where the circuits are installed in metal conduit and the penetrations are protected in accordance with 8.3.5

(11)Penetrations or communicating openings shall be prohibited between adjacent exit enclosures.
(12)Membrane penetrations shall be permitted on the exit access side of the exit enclosure and shall be protected in accordance with 8.3.5.6.

Reference:
As you can see in the attached diagram, it seems to me that the case is acceptable?

So is this new construction or existing.

If brand new building to be built,I am thinking the a/c room cannot be part of the stair enclosure

"Requirement of emergency stairways is more related to building code than NFPA..." not true Life Safety Code NFPA 101 will outline those requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back