Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emulsifier for paraffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhols

Computer
Jan 9, 2004
US
Can anybody tell me what emulsifier to use to emulsify paraffin wax and what process and PH must be maintained?
I have a problem with shocking the PH of emulsions I buy
making them useless, so I thought I should try to make my own if it is a mixing process. I can buy melted wax locally.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jrhols,
to find a suitable emulsifier for paraffin wax you can apply the HLB (hydrophilic-lipophilic balance) concept. I would look for an emulsifier with a HLB value near 8.

mjh127

I was hoping somebody would say just use pure olive oil as it has at least 5% aleic acid and aleic acid emulsifies paraffin if it is less than 5 percent but starts to promote crosslinking if over 4 percent. There is such an item on ebay it is #5551929764. I don't want to spend more than I have to so I'm thinking quick and dirty, and besides, all the chemical companies I get when I use GOOGLE are in Korea or somewhere very far from here. The ebay item says something I don't understand about how the aleic (is that the same as oleic?) is treated to make it water soluble.
Can I approximate this with something crude?

To jrhols. Sorry but fatty acids may form precipitates with hard water. You'll be obliged to soften the water component prior to emulsifying.

I tried using a cup of water per 2 pounds wax and some cleaning solvent that says it emulsifies wax.
It didn't work. It stayed soft for an hour, then got
too hard to be considered emulsified.
Not very paintable that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back