Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EN 13480-3 wall thickness calc material properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatMan83

Materials
Jul 3, 2018
GB
Hi,

I have a question regarding EN13480-3 wall thickness calc and the elevated temperature properties of materials when they are not listed in the specifications. For example, P265GH and P265NL - P265GH has elevated temperature properties stated in EN 10216-2, whilst P265NL only has material properties at room temperature in EN 10216-4. So on one hand I have the NL grade suitable for low temp, but not elevated temp and on the other I have the GH grade that is suitable for elevated temp, but not low temp service. If for example I had a design temp range of -40°C to +250°C, do I need to change material to one with tabulated elevated temp properties and impact test requirements, such as P355NL, or could I use one 265GH with a design stress of Rm/2.4?

This is a repost of a similar question (thread748-507200) as I had no replies in that forum. A similar question was asked in thread378-333226, but it didn’t answer my question. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd say that a material is suited for the highest listed temperature. You can use the GH grade for low temp., but its probably too difficult/tricky, which is why there's an NL-grade. The allowable stress for the GH-grade at below 0 deg C will probably be the same as for 0 deg C, except you dont have guaranteed impact test values.

Have you perhaps cosnidered contacting a mill or stickist to check whether such materials arent available dual certified? Or isnt that possible based on the chemical composition?

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Hi Matman,

According to the EN 10216-2 you can specify P265GH with an impact test @ 0°C and the KV must be => 27J.
Then you can use figure B.2-2 from the EN 13480-2 to determine which wall thickness may be used to -40°C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back