Status
Not open for further replies.

Dane Rot

Petroleum
Jun 15, 2023
SE
Hi dear all,
I'm new here and this is my first post.

We received on site some CE marking, PED practice vessels with some spools pipe and fittings (elbows, TEEs etc.), that have to be fitted and welded in butt weld joint in order to connect the vessels to the valve skid.

Our subcontractor is performing the erection activities and the new welds with its correct WPS. The site main involved WPS has 141 + 111 weld processes.

Due to a misalingment of one vendor weld between to a flange and a 18” carbon steel pipe, our subcontractor have proceed without our permission with I think a questionable solution.

In order to rectifive/repair the misalignment problem of 15 mm, our subcontractor has removed part of the vendor weld as follow.

Without touching all down vendor weld layers, our subcontractor has removed the top welds layers (clocktwice 9 to 3), of the 135 process weld of the pipe without reaching and touch first 141 layer weld: vendor pipe to flange welding process is 141 + 135 in PA position (with weld positioner).

All have been performed in order to reweld it again and at the same time pushing it up in such a manner that align it to the other pipe that have to be weld.

Question 1. Is our subcontractor autorise/able to keep part of the original vendor weld and put on the opposite site its welding repair processes, even if at the end NDT and hydrotest to the pipe spool will be performed again?

Question 2. Our subcontractor has not WPS with 141+(135 or 136 or 138)+111 processes that I think could be good in case of any repair in weld item (its welded items). He has just single process like 141, 111 and multiprocess WPS with 141+136 and 141+111+136 but I think that the main problem is that about the first question.

I think that the best correct solution was to remove completely all vendor welds, preparing a new weld joint between flange and pipe, and perform the activities with subcontractors WPS.

EU standars involved are: 15614-1, 13480-1 to 13480-5 etc.

Please give me the font (standards and paragraphs), where I can get your information, in order to respond correctly and legitimately to our subcontractor.

I´ve checked 15614-1 level 2 par. 8.4.1 but is not clear for me.

Many thanks for your answers and help.

Best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do your project specifications say ?
Most require the Contractor to notify the Client and request permission to perform a major weld repair.
I do not have experience with EN/ISO so no idea if it is code compliant but first thing to look at is the project specification.

Hi DekDee,

Client specification say that Statutory Requirements for pipe modification and repair have to be as per PED practice 2014/68/EU and EN/ISO standards are the applicable codes.

Weld misalinement shall be allowed according the tolerances of the spec followed. Specs of your client requirements shall be followed. WPS and suport WPQR if issencial variables are altered, must require a new WPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back