Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EN13445 Vessel and custom saddle design software advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesestrip

Mechanical
Aug 19, 2022
NL
Good day all,

For the past 10 years or so. I have used Visual Vessel Design to compute EN13445 Vessels. VVD also had a transparent saddle design report so I always used this to perform calculations for saddles.
Hexagon PPM, the company that bought the original company behind VVD, has let us know that they will stop supporting VVD to focus more on their own program (PV Elite).

For ASME Vessels, we use Design Calcs. Their saddle calculation and report, however, is too basic for my application.
To clarify some of my main gripes of Design Calcs;
[ul]
[li]this program assumes the saddles are placed symmetrical [/li]
[li]Assumes webs are straight, so an anchor plate has to be the same width as your wrapper plate[/li]
[li]Doesn't appear to allow a calculation for a fixed and sliding saddle, you insert both saddles at the same time and it's either both fixed or both sliding. [/li]
[li]Partially because it makes so many simple assumptions, the report doesn't give me enough information about the occuring stresses[/li]
[/ul]
So what I am looking for an EN13445 vessel design program that allows a more complex saddle design.

From what I could find, Bently's AutoPipe Vessel, seems a good fit. Link
This, at very least, shows there is a way to use custom saddles which have a tapered web. Which we use often.

If any of you could share your experience with Vessel Design programs. I would really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back