Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enable Software OpenGL in SolidWorks and eDrawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMulligan

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2002
US
I just changed operating systems from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro. Neither SolidWorks or eDrawings could open a file without crashing.

Solution - enable Software Open GL in SolidWorks 2003 and in eDrawings 2003.

Observations
1. I did not have to enable Software OpenGL in the previous release of eDrawings.
2. I did not have to enable Software OpenGL when running eDrawings 2003 under Windows 2000.

Maybe this will save someone some time and aggravation.

Hello,

You probably did not update your video driver.

Please get the video driver for Windows XP and this will solve the problem, without you having to use SoftwareOpenGL.

Please note that you must update your video driver when...

1) Upgrading to a new release of SolidWorks
2) Upgrading Windows OS

TIP: It is a good idea to Unintall the old driver first before installing a new one.

Cheers,

Joseph

I second the video driver. I also second the uninstall the old one (switch to VGA) before installing the new one.

Mr. Pickles

re: video drivers

I know this is tru for nVidia cards. It may be true for others.

There is a difference between the "default" video drivers that Windows installs and the ones that come with the video card on disk or via download. I know my GeForce card can only run SW if I use the "Detonator" drivers downloaded from the nVidia website.

[bat]All this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted.[bat]

I downloaded and installed the latest XP drivers from Dell prior to posting (they did't work.) I did not uninstall the old driver - that is an excellent suggestion and I'll try it when time permits.

Thank you all for helping me.

...... and go into Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance (Visual Effects... bunch of BS, mutter, mumble....). Turn OFF everything except may be the last one (I think) all that one does is give you the new "Disney style" appearance. The rest of these things are pure BS and are taking up PCU time (not graphics processor time as one might expect). They can really slow you down. And who needs "cursor shadows, sliding/fading menus and such like!? We're Engineers fer cryin' out loud Bill Gates, you were one once - fergit foo-foo stuff - GIMME SPEED!!!!

Pessimist - Cup half empty. Optimist - Cup half full. Engineer - Cup twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back