Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enclosed vs Open Air (Rack Mount) Capacitor bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman7892

Electrical
Apr 7, 2008
US
Hello

Interested in pro's and con's for metal enclosed cap bank for open air rack mounted unit. I'm exploring a project option to replace a 26.4kV 6MVAR metal enclosed Cap Bank. Preferred approach is to replace in same location with new metal enclosed unit but and option has come up for open air rack mount.

I don't have much experience with open air rack mount units so was hoping to hear from others on pro's / con's related to cost, maintenance, etc....

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@cranky108 - Yes cost is a factor as it usually is. I have not yet done a pricing exercise but expect that an open air application would be more expensive from a project standpoint considering cost of on-site installation etc. especially in this case where the existing unit is enclosed. I'm not sure how the equipment pricing components compare?

@unclebob - Thanks for the feedback on rodent/bird issues. I have heard that in the past and seen some installations with screened enclosures surrounding bank for that reason.

Are there any con's to an enclosed option vs open air?

Open air cap bank is a bird's favorite place to nest and then die... and burn your fuses.

Too true; this morning we had an outdoor rack-mounted 44 kV phase-to-phase static cap bank rated at 28.8 MX trip out of service due to a bird contact; inspection revealed no damage, bulging, leaking or bursting of any cap cans, but eight fuses in one tier were found blown.

The robin did not survive . . .

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back