Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enclosure NEMA 4X Non Metallic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuky2000

Electrical
Aug 18, 2001
DO
In the old-time was common to specify stainless steel or aluminum enclosure for NEMA 4X application. Perhaps PVC or non-metallic compound were available or just introduced in the market.

Does PV or Polyvinyl meet today the requirement for NEMA 4X in HV Utility applications?

NEMA_Enclosure_Rating_pivlrw.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Glass reinforced polyester material was the recommended already 30 years ago. Now it could be the P.V.C.turn. I got once polyvinyl boxes from Australia-I guess-for NEMA 9 [Hazardous Location class II Division I] instead of cast iron.

PVC is often problematic in sunlight exposed applications, the UV makes it more susceptible (i.e. less resistant) to impacts, which is a problem for enclosures. Still, people use PVC because it is inexpensive. FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic) is the preferred material for non-metallic N4X, but is more expensive.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back