Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ENCODER/PLC INTERFACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPISME

Electrical
May 19, 2002
US
I HAVE AN APPLICATION I COULD USE SOME HELP WITH. I HAVE A VERITCAL CARRAIGE THAT TRAVELS 90 INCHES CARRYING APROX. 35 lbs. I HAVE TO STOP THE CARRAIGE AT 18 DIFFERENT POSITIONS AND TRAVEL AT 6 INCHES/SEC IN ONE DIRECTION AND TRAVEL AT 12INCHES/SEC AT THE OTHER. I NEED TO INFERFACE POSITON DATA WITH A MICRO PLC. THIS IS A STACKING OPERATION SO AT EACH POSITION THE PLC HAS TO FIRE SOME OUTPUTS. I'M LOOKING FOR A
LOW COST WAY TO CONTROL THE SPEED OF THE MOTOR AND ASLO GET POSIOTN DATA. CAN ANYONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, you seem to have solved most of the problem allready.An encoder conected to the plc's high speed counter inputs will give yo position. Use the analouge output to control your motor drive.

For a GE VersaMax micro the first 8 HS inputs are configured as an A-Quad-B quadature input with A, B and HOME signals being applied. Examples are in the HW and VersaPro SW manuals. You get:

Angular POSITION (EXAMPLE, for 360 line encoder = 1 / 1440 per revolution, 1/4 deg)
Direction of rotation
Speed

You will also need a system HOME reset point to sync your system to "0".

Other PLC's are simular, I do this with the GE and encoder at < $500.

Thanks
Dennis McHenney
( Dennis McHenney )
Corporate Mfg. Engineer
Merkle-Korff Industries
1375 Mt. Prospect Rd.
Des Plaines, IL 60018
PH = 847-768-0132 / FAX = 0135
<<mailto:dmchenney@merkle-korff.com>>
<<

Dennis McHenney
mchenney@mindspring.com