End of Life 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpparent

Electrical
Sep 26, 2001
US
All,

Is there an IEEE standard that says, TYPICALLY with ongoing maintenance and normal use, a unit substation, dry type transformer(from 1000kVA to 5000kVA) is End of Life after??? I seem to recall a figure of 30 years, but I'm not finding it.

Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 30 year life is a period quoted by transf manufacturers based on historical data. What it really means is that after 30 years the transf has had a good life and that a sudden failure can be expected at any time thereafter and thus it is considered wise to change out the unit at an earliest oppertuinity

According to ANSI/IEEE C57.96 (Guide for Loading Dry-Type Transformers), the normal life expectancy for transformers operated within the basic loading conditions is 20 years. The basic loading condition is continuous full-load kVA at rated voltage and 30 degree C 24-hour average ambient (not exceeding 40 degrees C).

Anyone know of any reliability surveys that include dry power transformers in the 500kva to 2500 kva range. Specifically, the mean time to failure or life expectancy.
Looking for 4160 to 13.8kV types

One reference is Appendix G — Report of transformer reliability survey in IEEE Std 493-1997 …Design of Reliable Industrial and Commercial Power Systems [Gold Book] but it looks primarily based on liquid-filled transfomers. Drytype transfomers seem to be “newer” than oil in the listed range, so it may be more difficult to find significant reliability data. With more recent improvements in materials and processes, newer dry designs may also have increasing lifespan.

An example of one undesirable rating combination sometimes found in drytypes of this range are 15kV-class primaries with 60kVBIL ratings, where 95kVBIL is standard for oil-dielectric equivalents.

I concur with busbar, the Gold Book appendix is the only authoratative source that I know of.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back