Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enercalc and Retain Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structures33

Structural
Feb 22, 2007
US
Hey all - I think the new Enercalc has been previously discussed here... and while I really hate the new version, that's not why I'm writing today.
The old Enercalc had a retaining wall function and I used it often. If you have the new version, you know that it does not have retaining walls anymore. I have not bought Retain Pro yet (advertised w/ Enercalc now) and have not done so because the new Enercalc was so disappointing. However, I just realized that they are designed by two different companies.
I do plan to demo the software but I'm looking for your thoughts, opinions and experiences with Retain Pro.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RetainPro is written by Hugh Brooks. Enercal is written by his son, Michael Brooks. Call them for better info. I have spoken to both. They are both very helpfull.

I use RetainPro version 6 frequently. It is a quirky program with numerous bugs, a somewhat cumbersome user interface, and ugly / hard to interpret reports.

The positive side is that it allows me to quickly arrive at a workable design for a retaining wall - about 15 min start to finish to design geometry and reinforcing for a typical cantilever wall.

But... the program has so many bugs that I don't feel 100% comfortable trusting the results, so I end up doing the final design iteration by hand once I arrive at a workable design with RetainPro.

The current Retain Pro is Retain Pro 2007, last updated on April 2008. Version 6 may be very different from the current version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back