Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Enercalc warning in retaining walls design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X4vier

Civil/Environmental
Feb 24, 2018
CO
The enercalc tool gives this warning on retaining walls:
The above calculation is not valid if the heel soil bearing pressure exceeds that of the toe,
because the wall would then tend to rotate into the retained soil.
But What it means? and how must it be addressed?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess it means that the passive pressure resistance is higher than the active pressures.

If you were doing this by hand, you would probably notice this pretty quickly. The thing to do (IMO) is to scale down the passive pressure resistance until it is less than the active pressure.

The first question I have is what is the "above calculation the this warning/caution refers to?

The second question is whether the "if" proposition is true? Is the soil bearing pressure on the heel greater than the pressure at the toe (i.e. is the resultant of the vertical force closer to the back of the heel than the front of the toe)?

This is the warning for the retaining wall tilt calculation. There is likely an eccentric load making it tip back into the retained soil and they flag this as the soil there will try to resist the tilt but that is not considered in the calculation they do.

Thank you,
structSU10 said:
This is the warning for the retaining wall tilt calculation. There is likely an eccentric load making it tip back into the retained soil and they flag this as the soil there will try to resist the tilt but that is not considered in the calculation they do.
And there is a way to address the comment? to verify!?

Thanks for the ping.

structSU10 nailed it. The tilt calculation is based on the assumption that the stem rotates away from the retained soil and is unhindered by its presence. When the soil pressure indicates rotation INTO the retained soil, the calc is invalid, so we parachute out with that warning.

Director of Engineering
ENERCALC, LLC
Web:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back