Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Energy Analysis software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ub313

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2005
AE
Hi,
Can some one please advise,
1)Which software is good for annual energy analysis of HVAC equipment?
2)After data entry, does a normal pc (of uptodate configuration) require a lot of time to process hourly analysis data, for finding energy usage for all 8760 hours.
3) If such analysis is popular in large projects? and who does this type of analysis normally?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) I know the carrier HAP program can estimate energy use/costs and I believe the Trane Trace can do it as well. 2) It does not take long at all to simulate the costs with the Carrier system and a fairly modern PC (I only have exp w/ Carrier program). 3) Depends on the owner. Some projects require it and others do not. Some require comparing a certain number of alternatives and a thorough life cycle cost analysis for approval by "the board".

I have used the Trane Trace 700 software program extensively for energy modeling. Once the data is input, the time it typically takes to run the model is minimal. Some huge models can require 5 or 10 minutes to run but that seems to be the exception. I would have to say that with a modern PC with a reasonably fast processor, most models can be run in less than 5 minutes. The project engineer is typically responsible for completing a life cycle cost analysis. The requirements to do so are dependent on the type of project and your authority having jurisdiction. In Florida, all school project require that an LCCA or FLEET analysis be completed. On most other projects it is not required. Enjoy.

Mike

Thanks Newfellaw and haneyrm.

I have another question to Haneyrm.
When you had used Trane Trace 700 for Energy modelling, how many hours could you analyze in 5-10 minutes?
was it Trace 700's defaulted 1100 hours or all the 8760 hours of the year?

I used Blast software for energy modeling several years ago, and it was a good one. It was developed by university of illinois, urbana champion. I heard Blast then was combined with DOE energy analysis software...

I have used the Carrier HAP and DOE2.2, and i'd recommend the carrier (v4.05 or later) for 90% of applications. The advantages are that this software was primarily designed for load calculations, with the energy analysis tacked on later, so in the process of doing a high quality load calc, you get most of the energy calc input knocked out.

The downside is that the software does not handle natural methods very well - daylighting, natural shading etc. In atypical designs DOE and it's replacement - Energy Star, do a much better job, although the input time is significantly higher.

I have used Carrier HAP and have found it very useful. It can generate lot of reports in different types of formats - sometimes, you need to show this stuff to non-HVAC people who are decision makers. The output can be made in pie-charts as well, which gives lot of clarity.

You don't need a lot of additional time for inputs for the energy software specifically, since it takes most of the data from the load estimation software.

HVAC68

eQuest is a DOE2 based program with Wizards for data entry for schematic design and detailed design. With the schematic design you can input a fairly simple model and execute yearly runs quickly. The software is free to download. Various charts can be printed from the simulation runs. Also a 3-D representation of the building can also be printed.

ub313,

I used to use HAP in DOS days (I'm dating myself)

Now I use Trace 700 for mostly load calculations, but The energy analysis is pretty easy and it does allow for doing side by side comparisions of different types of sysems.

The time needed to run calculations are inconsequental to the time required to input the model.

Cost is a little high if you are not going to do many models. But if you only have one building to do, your local Trane Sales engineer may be able to help you.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back