Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Energy Balance - Enthalpy Change of a Fluid at Changing Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

petda15

Agricultural
Nov 23, 2023
US
Hey guys I hope things are going well. I am a process engineer at a agricultural processing plant and have been doing some Mass and Energy Balance work around our soybean oil extraction plant and have some questions around some energy balance/enthalpy change calculations:

For example, I am trying to calculate the BTU/lb that is required to take liquid hexane from an initial state of 135 deg F and a pressure -0.3 IWC pressure to the final state of vapor at 142 deg F and a pressure of -20 inHG pressure. I have laid out my process paths as the following:

Hexane (liquid, -.5” H2O @ 135 °F) to Hexane (liquid, 1 atm, 69 °C) to Hexane (gas, 1 atm, 69 °C) to Hexane (gas, -20” Hg @ 99 °F) to Hexane (gas, -20” Hg @ 142 °F)

We know the latent heat of vaporization of Hexane at 1 atm and 69 deg C. And we know the saturation temperature of hexane at -20" HG using boiling point calculation from the antoine equation.

I am having trouble determining the right way to calculate the enthalpy change going from Hexane (gas, 1 atm, 69 °C) to Hexane (gas, 20” Hg @ 99 °F) because it is a changing pressure and temperature process. How would solve across this process path? Is there a way I can directly estimate the enthalpy change from the initial state to final state without the process paths? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

H,
Agree with all above but you can use an EOS to calculate:
dh =cp*dT+[v-T*∂V/∂T)p]*dp
then integrate the equation above.

Pierre

edit: Using PR EOS:
1.01325 bar @69C ...z=0.9576, Ro= 3.2 kg/m3, v=2.689 e-02m3/mol, dv/dt = 8.853e-05 SI units
0.335974 bar @ 37.22C ... z= 0.9821, Ro= 1.14 kg/m3, v=7.5431e-02 m3/mol, dv/dt = 2.55 e-04 SI units
the integral part related to P change should be 280 J/mol and the integral part related to T should be (5100-9810) Joule/mol
[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back