Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Energy Dissipator

Status
Not open for further replies.

CvlEngr123

Civil/Environmental
Oct 26, 2006
US
Anybody have an example design of a baffled energy dissipator or point me in the right direction to the equation for one? A municipality is requiring that an energy dissipator be constructed at the end of a detention pond outlet. The outlet is a "V-Notch" outlet.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Baffled outlets are covered in "Design of Small Canal Structures" by the US Bureau of Reclamation. I designed a half dozen baffled outlets back in the mid-1980s and this book (in hard-cover format) was my guide.

The book can now be downloaded in .pdf format from several sources. IIRC, I downloaded it from the USBR website about 10 years ago, but I can't find it on their site right now.

BTW, we call them "baffled outlets" because calling them "befuddled outlets" is considered politically incorrect. :)

==========
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

USBR Type VI
Hydraulic Design of Stilling Basins and Energy Dissipators
Engineering Monograph No. 25

available via google

I've used CMU or concrete blocks embedded in concrete for an energy dissipator downstream of a weir.
As long as the velocity was fairly low I didn't do calculations, just added 3 to 5 staggered rows of blocks and spaced them so that they ended where the outlet slope leveled off.

Thanks for all of the responses. I will be looking for the resources indicated in the responses.

I'd go with the HY-8 free computer software. Not nearly as fun as the design manuals it is intended to somewhat automate but much easier and quicker to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back