Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Energy Input Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

M98Ranger

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2007
US
My question is quite basic I think. I am designing an apparatus whose function is to work metal by means of steam and or abrasives. I am trying to figure out the required energy input so I can figure out the working pressures and temperatures that I will need to design for.

I believe that the 'modulus of toughness' is the property that would give me a good idea of energy requirements to cut or mill certain metals using the method described above.

Also, In the MERM it it has a generic 'Failure Energy versus Temperature' figure (pg 46-15 upper-left). Where could I get a hold of some similar metal-specific charts? The reason being that I will be working at approximately 1100-1200 degrees and I know that such a working temperature would obviously significantly affect the energy input requirement that I would need to design for.

Lastly, If it is assumed that I am working steel at a temperature of say 1100-1200 degrees (steel part to be worked submerged in water lets say) as long as I stay well below the 1300+ Fahrenheit transition temperature for steel, it shouldn't affect the composition much if at all right?

Am I correct in my assumptions? I want to make sure that I am on the right track. If I am not correct could you point me in the right direction and explain to me why I am not correct? Thank you very much for your time and help in these matters.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back