Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Energy Meter energy calculation from power

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdxcool

Electrical
Apr 7, 2016
IN
I have interfaced a smart energy meter IC (ADE7878) to a microcontroller. The datasheet of the IC can be found here, As per the datasheet, on page 50 total active power of each phase can be read from the registers AWATTHR, BWATTHR, and CWATTHR. My question is what parameters I should consider and formula I should use to calculate the kwh value ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your reply. But the values given out of these registers are 32 bit. I was thinking how do I convert it to the actual value. I think there is some conversion factor.

As per the datasheet(page 58), PMAX = 33,516,139 = 0x1FF6A6B, the instantaneous power
computed when the ADC inputs are at full scale. So will dividing the value obtained from the register by Pmax give me the actual wh value ?

Sum the hex values for the period you are interested in (probably 1 h) and then divide by the scale factor. If you divide first, you will lose a lot of resolution.

I assume that your computer handles 64 bit unsigned, in that case there is ample room for the summation.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back