Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ENergy Savings from Insulation of Industrial storage tank with cone and dome roofs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vir07

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2011
US
There are two tanks
1) 140' diameter x 40' High , cone roof
2) 80' diameter x 45' high, dome roof

tanks are filled 75% and the operating temperature inside should not exceed 225 F.
insulated with 2inch thick polyisocyanurate foam with a foil vapor barrier on both sides.

my question is how to estimate the savings from insulation ?
whats the area of cone roof and dome roof tanks ?

appreciate the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can start by
> Figuring out the ambient temperature -- the delta temperature across the insulation allows you to calculate the amount of heat traversing the insulation
> Figuring out the cost of refrigeration to offset the increase in heat, assuming you don't just blow off the evaporated liquid, otherwise, you need to also figure out the cost of generating replacement liquid.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

If you dont know how to do this, you ought to engage an external consultant to help out. Sundry items like insulation should payout in no more than 3-5years. No need to apply interest on investment. Also arrange for the insulation contractor to give you budgetary total installed price for insulating each tank to various thicknesses in increments of 0.5inch, say 0.5inch, 1inch, 1.5inch, 2inch....

Work out the heat loss for each thickness. Heat loss calcs for losses through roof and bottom can be rather tricky.

BTW, think isocyanurate insulation is a bad idea since it is probably highly flammable. Use mineral wool instead. What is / are tank contents for each of these? Tanks sitting in a containment dike?

Regarding dome and cone roofs, as per API-650, dome roofs are approximately spherical shape supported at periphery. Similarly cone roofs are conical with permitted dimensions.

The formulae for surface areas are available in different handbooks.

An economic analysis needs to be done with various insulation thicknesses(with connected costs) and the resultant cost savings due to reduction of heat losses. The optimum should be selected.

Engineers, think what we have done to the environment !

total cost over selected payout period = operating cost of regenerating the heat loss incurred at tank over payout period (A) + total cost of insulation
Plot a curve of total cost on y axis vs insulation thickness on x axis. You will see a minimum on this curve, which is the optimum insulation thickness

For A, to keep things simple, no need to account for the additional CAPEX incurred at the heat generation unit for the incremental heat loss.

Thank you all.
another question related to this project is :
if tanks are filled 90% and 50% respectively.
should i multiply surface area with .90 and .50 respectively ?
i am taking operating temperature as 100+ 60 /2 = 85 F ( 100 being the fill temperature and 60 being air temp inside the tank)

"if tanks are filled 90% and 50% respectively."
You should take the values which occur most of the time to have a realistic cost-benefit analysis.

"i am taking operating temperature as 100+ 60 /2 = 85 F ( 100 being the fill temperature and 60 being air temp inside the tank)"

You should take the temperature actually existing, i.e. bottom part should have fill temperature and top part air temperature.

Engineers, think what we have done to the environment !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back