Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineer In Training 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yrevdoog

Structural
Sep 1, 2004
US
My question is about EIT's job description in the workplace. It's been two years since i arrived in the US coming from the Philippines, and since then i've been working for an engineering firm in Galveston County, TX, and passed the EIT exam after that. I'm not really sure what an EIT is suppose to be doing aside from the general training idea behind it. Back in the Philippines we didn't have EIT programs set by the state so it's all relatively new to me. Most of what i do are:
1. Foundation design and analysis (includes footings, piles, belled piers)
2. General structural design (includes commercial, residential structures, silo structures, signage, renovations, composite design involving steel, concrete and timber)
3. Certified Residential Energy Inspector/Plans Examiner
4. On-site inspection of jobs
5. Drainage calculations for works in commercial and subdivision areas
6. Windstorm analysis on structures along and close to the coastal areas
7. Code interpretations for APA manuals, WFCM, ACI, AISC LRFD and ASD, IBC2003, IRC2003, ASCE 7-98, Fire Codes, Energy Codes
8. Residential HVAC load calculations
9. Complete architectural drafting and design (elevations, electrical, HVAC, floor plans, cross-sections, foundation layout, framing layout)
10. Spreadsheet construction for various structural and civil applications (includes structural steel beams, columns, connections, reinforced concrete retaining walls, foundation beams, shearwalls, pile and bored pile foundations, timber design, column interaction diagram for circular and rectangular RC columns)
11. Use of AutoCAD Land Desktop 2004, StaadPRO 2003, Archicad, RESCheck, ACECOMS softwares

Any input regarding the EIT's job description, I would appreciate it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EIT does as much of what an engineer does as the EIT's experience will permit.

My job description changed not a whit when I went from EIT to PE.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

the main difference is that an EIT Must be supervised by a PE. A PE doesn't require the supervision.

It seems to me that you are currently working at a project engineer level of responsibility; which means you are working beyond that of a typical EIT. Good for you.

A few more years of 'apprenticeship' and you will get to sit for the national PE exam; appartently, you shouldn't have any problem with that test. Eventually, you will realize how very insignificant those two little letters behind your name really are~LOL.

Do yourself a favor and KNOW your state's code/law for practicing engineering. The easy part is getting the license; the harder part is keeping it!

Good luck.

Hoagie (Civil/Environme)
"Eventually, you will realize how very insignificant those two little letters behind your name really are"

1.5 years ago I passed my PE, told my boss I wasn't making enough, demanded more, he refused, and I went elsewhere. I currently make between 44% and 76% more than I did then (I'm in land development, so OT and bonuses vary year to year). I do roughly the same amount and depth of work I did as an EIT...I respectfully submit that 'P' and 'E' are probably the most SIGNIFICANT two letters in my name.

I agree with HgTX and cvg, EIT's and PE's - in site/civil, anyway - do pretty much the same tasks.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

If you look at the engineering salary survey’s published by all the Canadian associations you will see a major bump about 4 years after graduation, or when the class would be eligible for P.Eng status.

Its basically in recognition of a person finishing their basic training and having enough experience to become fully productive and independent at work.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

RDK

Same thing occurs in the UK and Australia as Chartered Engineer status is achieved.

The difference between an EIT and a P.Eng (or local equal status) is about $15,000 per year (or local currency equal)

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back