Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

engineer needs a weld guide 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skicat

Structural
Nov 19, 2007
US
I would really appreciate it if somebody could steer me in the direction of a simple guide that demonstrates the various types of common welds, their uses and the respective weld symbol. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lincoln Electric's Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding is probably the best all-around reference material you could have for your typical welding processes, especially given the content it contains for $25.

There isn't much better information than the AWS codes. I would recommend the AWS D1.1 code and the AWS A2.4, Standard Symbold for Welding, Brazing, and Nondestructive Examination. I also have a book, Design of Welded Structures, that gives a structural engineer most of what he might need to understand how to size a weld. Finally, on a more academic level, I have a book titled Welding Inspection Technology. I don't know what these books cost these days, but I think the AWS D1.1 is pretty high (~$300). The other books should be substantially less.

gtaw & unclesyd are right books from the James F. Lincoln Foundation are the best set of books for the price. The "Design of Weldments" by Blodgett has some vary good real life weldment examples.

Chris

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics." Homer Simpson

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I think a very comprehensive book is the AWS Welding Handbook volume 1.

There is information describing welding processes, physics of welding, metallurgy, design,, testing, symbols, economics of welding, quality and safety, terms, and others.

Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back