Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineered Labor Standards for Different Replenishment Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHEHRIYAD

Industrial
Feb 4, 2003
US
Are there industry averages to processing of Merchandise in a large Distribution Center, namely: Receieving, Putaway, Replenishment, Picking and Shipping? What is the best, or most popular method of calculating and maintaining these Standards? I would like to use an easy to implement software to calculate and track employee labor productivity in a new large capacity Distribution Center. Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only way I can think of calculating labor standards to track effciencies for the dist. center is to do time studies.

The way my companies track parts distribution centers effeciences is by the following metrics:

-PO Lines shipped per hour
-PO lines received per hour

This can be used for the whole center or even tracked to each employee. A substancial investment in an RF system or something simliar will increase the visablity of the centers effciencies.

I hope this helps

Ken

What type of picking/replenishment are you doing? Full case? Each pick? what automation are you using?

In receiving, how is your merchandise being processed? Is merchandise shipped from vendors on pallets or floor loaded? At the dock, are your employees receiving via RF or paper?

In shipping, are you floor loading or palletizing?

There are a lot of questions that you need to answer before implementing standards. There are some general "rules of thumb" out there, but they may be useless to you depending on your scenario.

I thought I knew everything :) but discovered I don't. A friend tried to convince me to attend a conference about "lean accounting" with her. What's up with that? Why would I, as a consultant, need to know anything about what the accounting geeks (and I say that lovingly) do?
If you're going, let me know why I should consider it. I want to stay relevant, but don't want to waste my money either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back