Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Engineering Change Notice ECN - Needed for subassembly Supplier change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

umatrix

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2013
US
Hello eng-tips,
We (Umatrix R US) manufacture and sell an item (shown below) that has two parts , part 1 we make, part 2 we get from a supplier. If either part changes , i.e., fit, form or function, we file an ECN. Pretty much no brainer for that.

What about if the supplier (Motors Plus) that we source part 2 from changes suppliers for components within part 2. Meaning they get the washer and shaft from a new sub-supplier. Noting is changing in terms of the final assembly that we purchase, it is still made to the same print. Do we still need an ECN ?
Screen_Shot_2021-06-26_at_7.51.01_AM_xgcobt.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suggest that if it was a critical part of the assembly that you would... also if the component has specific requirements... like hardness/softness, etc.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Probably varies depending upon what industry you are working within - and thus, customer specs.

In the automotive industry, the concern is that a switch to a different supplier means that its manufacturing process may no longer be PPAPed.
The supplier switch might not be an engineering change but it is a process change, and may need the PPAP re-done.

If the engineering record does not specify the supplier or suppliers, then no.
Your procurement documents should note the supplier change for traceability.

Ted

umatrix and all,

My experience is that document control terms like ECR, ECO and ECN might not mean what you think they do. Your company has a process and it applies labels to stuff. You need to store documents in a vault. You need to track problems and changes. The actual forms and process can vary by a lot.

The general rule of thumb is that if you change form, fit and/or function, your part gets a new part number. If the change does not affect form, fit and/or function, it can keep its old number.

Do you have a specification control for your purchased part that clearly defines its functionality?

--
JHG

yes the main issue is receiving inspection. if the part# changes then then they will reject it. chicken tracks of what actual part # it is, if the part# did not change then
no big deal if fit form or function has not changed.

Thank you everyone.

I ended up releasing the engineering change notice as a running change mainly to serve as record keeping and a notice for procurement as mentioned by hydtools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back